Looking to buy organic textiles or organic home textiles?
Talk to us – firstname.lastname@example.org
We give little attention to the types of pillows we use, forgetting that they are our closest friend for almost a third of every day!
Just imagine what health benefits we could get if only we spend a bit more time in choosing our pillows and pillow cases with care.
One of the types of pillows that could make a significant to both our health and the health of our environment is organic pillows.
What are organic pillows?
Organic pillows are pillows made from natural materials (such as cotton) that are grown in the organic way – a process in which natural and sustainable inputs and practices are used during the farming and processing of the crop.
Interestingly, pillows made from all natural materials were basically the standard until the middle of the 20th century. At that point, many new synthetic fibers, chemicals and components began to be introduced. They were cheaper to produce and easier to make at large scales, and soon they dominated the scene. Today, as we discover more about the negative impact of synthetic compounds and pesticides on our health and the planet’s well being, organic pillows are enjoying a resurgence.
Organic pillows are a good choice for when you are thinking of replacing your pillows, and want the safest alternative that is available.
Although some pillows that are made from polyester may be labeled allergy safe, they may not fully be so. Polyester is a chemical product made in a factory, and the finished product is full of chemicals, because this is what these pillows are made from.
Many of these pillows take a long time to be free from the strong chemical odor that the manufacturing process puts into them. For those with chemical sensitivities or allergies, you may find these chemical smells hard to manage.
You also need to be careful if you are buying a latex pillow, as some latex is a man-made synthetic material, that is made from petrochemicals. Some may also be partly synthetic latex mixed with natural latex.
If you are having trouble sleeping, a new pillow that is made from a safe allergy free and organic textile may be the answer to how to sleep better.
What Are The Benefits of Organic Pillows?
A safer and more earth friendly approach is to replace your current pillow with something that is made from natural organic fabrics, such as cotton, wool or latex.
If you are wondering why you would choose organic over other fabrics, there are a number of benefits that you may like to consider.
These benefits include:
- Good for the environment – The effect of producing organic textiles is kinder to our environment. Organic products are a good natural health choice as they do not impact the environment in a detrimental way, so you know you are doing your bit for the health of the planet.
- Healthy – You’re using something natural. Organic pillows that use naturally grown fibers will not be tainted with dangerous chemicals and pesticides. This means you won’t be at risk while you are lying on them each night, and the environment will not have been harmed as the materials were grown and harvested. While you are sleeping you body is in contact with your bedding for around eight to ten hours each night. So you need to be sure that what you are using is safe for your health.
- In this context, many organic pillows are also hypoallergenic. Many of them are relatively allergen free, something particularly important to allergy sufferers. Different pillows will offer different levels of allergy-free relief, of course. Whether they prevent and deter dust mites or are simply free of allergy inducing chemical components, you’ll be healthier and feel better each and every day. Organic bedding is hypoallergenic, so it is a good choice if you are allergic or sensitive. It is important to choose a product that will not cause you any type of reaction that will effect your health.
- Choice – You have a large choice of materials. A few of the most popular types of organic pillows include organic cotton, organic wool and natural latex. Down pillows, hypo-down pillows and silk pillows are among many other potential alternatives. Each one will have its own unique feel and different characteristics, and you’re bound to find one that works great for you.
- Comfort – Organic bedding is pleasant to have against your skin. Lovely organic wool pillows are lovely to have close to you, and as you have your face up against your pillow for many hours a night, you need to be sure that you make both a healthy and comfortable choice. Many materials naturally wick away moisture, and help you to stay nice and cool all night long. Others naturally conform to the shape of your head to help provide the kind of high quality support and comfort that you’re looking for in a good night’s rest.
- Thus, by choosing one of the organic pillows, you can ensure that you choose a pillow that is better in a number of different ways.
Types of Organic Pillows
Organic wool pillows, organic cotton pillows as well as a few others such as organic buckwheat pillows are some of the common and popular choices for organic pillows currently.
Latex (rubber) pillows are also another type of natural pillow that might interest you.
If you’re looking to live a greener lifestyle and maintain a healthier, more eco-friendly existence, then why not make the switch to an organic pillow? You’ll be comfortable and cool, and you can find a pillow with the exact feel and comfort you’re looking for, whether firm or soft. Organic pillows are free of dangerous and harmful chemicals that nobody should really want around their faces and bodies for the one third of our lives we spend in bed.
Here are some links that provide more inputs on pillows made from organically grown materials: